Your gateway to a wide range of natural resources information and associated maps

Victorian Resources Online - What are my catchment obligations?

Return to Main Menu | Return to Step 4 | Return to Step 4.2.1 | Next Step

A local government planning permit is not normally required for a centre pivot, but is required for associated earthworks or clearing of remnant native vegetation. This step discusses issues particularly relevant to centre pivot irrigation development. For further information, see Step 2.2.11.
  • Trees (remnant or introduced) are compatible with pivots, but only outside the pivot circle! Farmers planning to remove remnant vegetation to install a pivot must obtain a planning permit before removing any trees. Fines of up to $45,000 have been imposed in the previously (plus costs, plus reinstatement costs, plus publicity). “Offset” plantings of multiples of native trees (typically 200 per remnant tree removed) are likely to be a condition of a permit. However, a permit will not automatically be given! Landholders should consult the relevant Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) personnel in the early stages of their planning process. See Step
In some cases, limiting a pivot to less than 360o (a part-circle) may preserve valuable trees. While this is technically feasible, it is not attractive as it compromises the management of the pivot (see “What shape can be irrigated?”, Step However, it is manageable and may be an acceptable compromise.
      Offset plantings may be needed to compensate for trees removed
  • Earthworks – A local government planning permit is required for earthworks to ensure that regional drainage is not restricted or significantly changed by the proposed works, potentially impacting upon others.
  • To avoid having to apply for a planning permit every time you want to implement a component of your Whole Farm Plan, your council can certify the plan, and you can implement it over several years. For more information, contact your local DPI office.
  • An irrigation storage must comply with the farm dams legislation. Typically, you can have a drainage reuse storage of up to one megalitre of storage capacity for each 10 ha of irrigated land. If you want to store more than this, you need to provide water entitlement, either by purchasing water or by transferring some of your existing water entitlement. For more information, contact your local Rural Water Authority office.
Page top